About Comfortis® (spinosad)
Comfortis® (spinosad) is the first FDA-approved, chewable, beef-flavored tablet that kills fleas and prevents flea infestations on dogs and cats for a full month. Comfortis is:
- Convenient. Easy to give, with no messy applications
- Fast. Starts to kill fleas in 30 minutes — before they can lay eggs
- Effective. Provides full flea protection for a full month
And Comfortis has been demonstrated to be safe for dogs 3.3 pounds or greater, cats 2 pounds or greater, and puppies and kittens 14 weeks and older.
View a brief video to learn more about Comfortis' many benefits from the perspective of veterinary professionals.
Proven flea protection, in a family-friendly form
Here are just a few of the features that make Comfortis an ideal choice for convenient, family-friendly flea protection:
- No need to isolate. With Comfortis, you can play with your dog immediately after treatment. No need to isolate from other household pets or children. Just treat and play.
- No staining residue. Unlike some other flea treatments, Comfortis won't stain carpeting, upholstery or clothing.
- No bath-time worries. Comfortis can't be washed, rubbed or shaken off while bathing, grooming or swimming.
Dog owners are most satisfied when using Comfortis, according to veterinarians.1 View video testimonials about how convenient, and family-friendly Comfortis is for veterinary professionals and their clients.
How to Use Comfortis® (spinosad)
Use the following as general guidelines for administering Comfortis. Ask your veterinarian about your pet's specific needs.
- Administer monthly.
- For best results, administer year-round without interruption.
- Administer with food for maximum effectiveness.
- Administer the correct dose as prescribed by your veterinarian.
- If you miss a dose, give Comfortis immediately and resume regular monthly dosing.
If necessary, you can administer Comfortis like you would other tablet medications.
View the Comfortis product label for more detail.
Ask your veterinarian
Your veterinarian is your best source of advice about your pet's healthcare. That's why Comfortis (spinosad) is available through your veterinarian.
Your veterinarian can ensure the proper dosage of Comfortis and recommend other products that can help protect your dog's or cat's health. Consulting your veterinarian can help you avoid the costly — and potentially dangerous — trials-and-errors that pet owners could experience with over-the-counter products.
Your veterinarian can also make recommendations about flea treatment times and duration for your geographic area and specific household. For instance, to minimize the likelihood of flea reinfestation, it's advisable to treat all animals in your household with an approved flea product.
Have questions? Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more about Comfortis.
The introduction of spinosad for use in agriculture resulted in the receipt of a Presidential Green Chemistry Challenge Award2 in 1999 from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. The award was presented to Dow AgroSciences LLC in the category of “Designing Safer Chemicals” for the introduction of spinosad as an insect control product for use on crops. This award demonstrates that spinosad as a technology for insect control has a favorable environmental profile. This award is not relevant to the safety and efficacy of Comfortis, nor does it confer any environmental benefit to Comfortis.
Comfortis is not for use in humans. Like all medications, keep Comfortis out of reach of children.
“The fleas are dying before their eyes…”
Veterinarians and their staff talk about their clients' satisfaction with Comfortis' fast results in their dogs.
Comfortis doesn't wash off
“Comfortis does not wash off. I think that's a big plus, especially when you have a Lab that loves water…”
You don't have to isolate your dog
“I have two small children, so I have not been a real fan of topicals…”